(Shurdington & Badgeworth)
Two Charities set up, one in 1704 the STANSBY CHARITY, and 1910 the WOODWARD CHARITY are managed by Shurdington Parish Council and Badgeworth Council. They are now known jointly as the WOODWARD & STANSBY CHARITIES. This was first published in the Parish News magazine of August 1991 and compiled by Mr Ken Twinning.
|Reverend William Stansby Charity (return to top)
These are the opening words of the Will dated 3rd May 1704 of the Reverend William Stansby who died in 1708. By his Will he created a trust in respect of his estate which (inter alia) gave charitable bequests to the Parish of Badgeworth and Great Shurdington to the Parish of Churchdown and to Cheltenham for specific purposes. As to Badgeworth and Great Shurdington and to quote from the Will as follows:-
In due course of time the property (the rents of which provided the yearly payments) was sold. The Stansby Charity subsequently was provided with £200 Consolidated 2½ % stock which produced the yearly sum of £5.00p. A scheme sealed by the Charity Commission on 4th December 1923 regularised the procedure for the appointment of trustees of the Charity and updated the objects of the Charity as follows:
"A qualified child" is then defined as a poor child of an honest day labourer resident in the Ancient Parish of Badgeworth and Great Shurdington.
The Trustees Investment Act 1961 widened the powers of investment of trustees. The Charity Commission established an Investment Fund to facilitate recourse to this and this charity’s trust fund became 89 Charities Official Investment Fund units whereby the value of this charity’s fund increased over the years as also did the annual income.
|Julia Lucy Woodward Charity (return to top)
Julia Lucy Woodward died on 22nd June 1910 and her will (with a codicil) was dated 25th October 1906. Under her will "with a view to perpetuate the memory of her father" she directed that her farm and premises called Chargrove Oak Farm should be sold and the proceeds disbursed for various charitable purposes. A one-eight share was allocated to Shurdington…."Upon Trust that the Minister and Churchwardens might invest the…share…and from time to time apply the income produced therefrom in apprenticing a Boy or Boys…to a trade in such manner as the Minister and Churchwardens should think fit…"
A Scheme sealed by the Charity Commission on 9th October 1926 updated the objects of the Charity as follows:-
The Trustees Investment Act 1961 widened the powers of investment of Trustees. The Charity Commission established and Investment Fund to facilitate recourse to this and the charity’s trust fund became 150 Charities Official Fund units whereby the value of this charity’s trust fund increased, as also did the annual income.
WOODWARD & STANSBY CHARITIES. (return to top)
It has become evident that the objects of the two Charities (both of a similar nature) did not meet with modern educational requirements. Under powers contained in the Charities Act 1961a merger of the two Charities has been arranged and a new single Charity under the above title has been created. The Scheme was sealed by the Charity Commission on 5th October 1990. The Scheme sets out the rules and procedure for the administration of the new single Charity with objects as follows:
The Trustees are desirous of fulfilling their duties in
"Application of income – Subject to the payment of the expenses…the Trustees shall apply the income of the Charity in either or both of the following ways:
The Trustees are desirous of fulfilling their duties in a responsible and active manner and it is for this reason that this article has been prepared (Ed. date unknown, but probably early 90's) to make known the existence of the new Charity and its antecedents.
To avoid any doubt it is stressed that this is a ‘Parochial Charity’ and not a ‘Church Charity’.
To quote from the Scheme – "the Incumbent for the time being of the present benefice of Badgeworth with Shurdington" is however an ex-officio trustee of the Charity. If therefore anyone feels himself or herself entitled to seek assistance from the Charity or if any person knows anyone who might benefit then an initial approach may be made to the Incumbent (i.e. the Vicar) at the time for he is accordingly a permanent trustee whilst the other trustees change by rotation. It is considered that payment of grants is restricted to individuals and not organisations.
The other trustees, with their respective period of years in office in brackets, are Mr Derek R Taylor (5 years), Mr Gilbert F W Roper (4 years), Mr David A Davies (3 years) and Mr Desmond R Williams (2 years). Their successors are appointed, as and when their respective terms of office expire, variously by Shurdington Parish Council, Badgeworth Parish Council and co-option. They are the inaugural trustees of the new Charity deriving their appointment from their trusteeships of the two old charities.
Copyright © P Calleja-Gera 2001: All rights reserved.